Man, do we love Facebook. Love it, love it, love it. It's a little scary, actually. New research out today shows that 1 in 4 Canadians- nearly 8 million of us- are wired into the perniciously addictive social networking site. That means despite having about 0.5 per cent of the world's population, Canada accounts for about 15 per cent of Facebook's subscriber base.
A few possible conclusions flow from this:
1) Canada is super-hip and plugged into all the latest technological wonders of the digital age (unlikely)
2) Canada is full of awkward people who dislike face-to-face contact (possible)
3) Our jobs are universally boring (possible)
4) We like having our privacy invaded by Facebook's ad program (unlikely)
5) The rambling expanse of Canada, combined with the vagaries of our climate, make Facebook preferable to, say, going outside and walking around (bingo).
Whatever the reason, Facebook is now an important part of our cultural milieu. And god help us all.
Even the blue is calming...