The Obama campaign has rolled out it's team of scientific advisors, and they seem like a pretty free-thinking bunch:
- Harold Varmus, a Nobel prize winner who headed the National Institutes of Health. He's been active in tackling global health issues and defending the American Constitution from the religious right;
- Gilbert Omenn, a staunch defender of evolutionary theory. Quoth the doctor: ““The logic that convinces us that evolution is a fact is the same logic we use to say smoking is hazardous to your health or we have serious energy policy issues because of global warming. I would worry that a president who didn’t believe in the evolution arguments wouldn’t believe in those other arguments either. This is a way of leading our country to ruin;”
- Peter Agre, another Nobel prize winner who used his prize money to fight restrictions on academic freedom imposed by the War on Terror;
- Don Lamb, an astrophysicist and expert in stellar evolution. He's a big proponent of space exploration.
- Sharon Long, a former MacArthus fellow and leader of the National Academy of Sciences.
Nice to see some pretty high-watt names in there. Because only one thing is going to get us out of the environmental and economic straits we're in: science. Not god, not Jesus, not creationism in schools, not John McCain, not Sarah Palin. Just science.