After trying out a dozen or so names over the past few weeks, I've settled on "Daily Linker". Short, simple, to the point. So let's see what this newly christened link roundup has for us today. Canada
- Michael Ignatieff is now the leader of the Liberal Party. At least until something else crazy happens. Like, oh, I don't know, Jack Layton turns into an Emu.
- Man goes on champagne-fuelled rampage at a VW dealership. Aus Liebe zum Automobil!
- The world's foremost fundamentalist d-bags - the Westboro Baptist Church - plan to picket a high school production of Rent. Really? That's the best protest you could come up with?
- 2,000 forced to evacuate in Poland after a 1-tonne, unexploded WWII bomb is found under the street.
- Danger Room provides another entry in its ongoing list of awesomely bad military acronyms.
- Foreign Policy has released its list of the ten worst predictions of 2008. My favourite: it is impossible for maritime pirates to seize an oil tanker. D'oh!
- Scholarly journal thinks they are putting a Chinese poem on the cover. The "poem" is actually a list of services offered by a brothel.
- It may be melting down everywhere else, but the newspaper business is booming in Brazil. Mmmm. Alliterative.
Science & Tech
- Here's an awesome, awesome article on why Jim Carrey remains a genius.
- Most people who die on Mount Everest do so within a day of reaching the summit. Look, I know you're excited, but wait until you're out of harm's way before going on a celebratory bender.
- Composer of Barney's "I Love You" song angry that it is being used to break prisoners at Gitmo. But perhaps not surprised.