- Canadians have set a record for hiking across Antarctica. You might say moving fast in the cold is the spiritual genius of the Canadian people.
- Toronto has nothing to complain about. It's -51 degrees in Alaska.
- Police in Oregon are on the lookout for a "Zombie Bandit". That can't be good.
- Cass Sunstein, libertarian paternalist and author of "Nudge" (which I am currently reading), has been appointed head of the United States' Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs.
- An appeal for Obama to drop the "and God Bless America" from the end of official speeches.
- Yay! Massive simultaneous crop failures in 2040!
- Neocon revisionism is now in full swing: Richard Perle claims he and his buddies had "nothing to do" with the decision to invade Iraq.
- All around the world, media outlets are cozying up to authoritarian regimes.
- Sarah Palin gets her whine on.
- Delete 10 Facebook friends, get a free Whopper. Wait, what?
Science & Tech
- More detailed specs on Obama's new limo: sealed from biological/chemical attacks, doors way as much as a 757's, and a supply of the President's blood on board.
- A designer baby, screened for cancer genes, has been born in London.
- A group of researchers are searching for the remains of the HMS Beagle, the ship that carried Darwin on his fateful trip to the Galapagoes.
- Scientists hatch plan to breed sterile "sexy" mosquitoes to destroy the mosquito population. Also: science is weird.
- Greg Allman, of the Allman Brothers Band, gets robbed.
- Even Nicole Kidman can't stand "Australia".
- Edward Gorey's strange book of advice for "The Recently Deflowered Girl".
- This movie looks awesome/terrible. Also: Dragons!
- Beer is increasingly being used as a mix for cocktails. Sure beats Diet Coke.