WarnerMedia Chief Executive Officer
said in a companywide address Thursday that he has no plans to step down this year in the wake of
decision to spin off and merge the media company with
a person familiar with his remarks said.
Mr. Kilar’s future as head of WarnerMedia was called into question after AT&T and Discovery unveiled their plans last week. He wasn’t kept in the loop about the pending deal, people with knowledge of the matter said. Mr. Kilar said he would reassess his options next year.
Speaking Thursday during a town hall meeting to celebrate the first anniversary of streaming service HBO Max, Mr. Kilar said: “My plan and my focus is to remain here in my CEO role at WarnerMedia. I am not thinking right now about postmerger. There will be a time to consider that topic in 2022.”
Mr. Kilar added, “I believe we have unfinished business, and the work of the next year can and should be extremely fulfilling as the world continues to see what we are capable of doing.”
Neither AT&T nor Discovery commented on Mr. Kilar’s future with the company when the deal was announced. The companies have said they expect to close the transaction, pending regulatory approval, in mid-2022.
Write to Joe Flint at email@example.com
Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8